Monday, June 9, 2014

The Storehouse Holds Both the New and the Old

             In the thirteenth chapter of St. Matthew’s Gospel, we read the words, “Blessed is the steward who brings out the new as well as the old from his storehouse.” (Mt. 13:52)  I’m sure those words would ring true for anyone going through an attic – old picture frames, lamps, pieces of luggage, books, and old piece of furniture and countless other treasures.  That is not only true of anyone’s attic at home, but it is also true of our church attic as well.
          Among some of the treasures in this attic were several sets of very old vestments, some of them dating back to the 1940’s.  Recently, a very beautiful set of gold vestments was discovered on the rack with many others.
          This particular set of vestments was purchased by Father Thomas J. Toole in 1948 when he was pastor of St. Mary’s Parish.  That was at the time the church underwent a complete renovation of the interior of the church.  Maybe some of our older parishioners will recall that time and the very beautiful work that was done in the church.  One of the highlights of this renovation was the very intricate and beautiful scroll work that was painted by hand on the ceiling.  I remember those days, as I was a student at St. Mary’s School during that renovation.  We would go over to the church during our lunch hour, lie down on the pews, and watch the artists way up on rafters painting this very beautiful artwork.
          Well, back to the story of the vestments, Father Toole had purchased them for the parish and they were first used for the dedication of that 1948 renovation.  They were worn for major holy days after that such as Christmas and Easter.  My personal connection with these beautiful vestments came when I wore them for my first Mass which I celebrated on Pentecost Sunday, June 6, 1965.
          After that occasion, I’m not sure how often the vestments were worn for the Liturgy at St. Mary’s, but at some time along the way, they were relegated to the attic.  Maybe it was because they were so ornate in their decoration or so heavy; the brocade of the material was very heavy.
          No those vestments have surfaced for another era in the life of St. Mary’s.  This year on June 8th, Pentecost Sunday, they will be worn again as our newest deacon, Matt Jones, will use them as he assists at the altar as a deacon for the first time.
          God willing, I will be able to wear them for a second time, when I celebrate my fiftieth anniversary of Ordination next June in 2015.  I am looking forward to that day, as it will be a day of great joy for me to be able to celebrate the Liturgy in the same church where I celebrated my first Mass, and wearing the same vestments I wore fifty years earlier.
          This time it will be a much older me bringing out of the storeroom something very old, but it will make me feel very young at heart.


Fr. Walt    

No comments:

Post a Comment