Monday, June 9, 2014

June 8th, A note from Fr. Scott

        The light turned green and I was ready to make a left-hand turn.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement and a young girl pedaled past the front of my car on what I assume was a small tricycle.  She wasn’t alone—she had two companions with her, but they had noticed that the light had changed and waited on the corner for me to go.
        Now the one on the tricycle actually looked to be the oldest of the three; she didn’t exactly fit on the tricycle comfortably—in fact it was hard to see the tricycle at all; I mostly saw her knees pedaling as fast as they could.  (It reminded me of the circus clowns who ride on tiny bicycles, even though I’m not much of a circus person!) 
        All I could think was, “I’m glad I didn’t hit her, but she should have known better than to cross the street without looking at the light!”
        I have to admit that I sometimes “think” the word “should”, but I try to avoid saying that word out loud.  I do have a reason: when a person uses the word “should”, he or she is suggesting superiority to the other person: “you should do this”; “you should say that”; “you should have known better”!  What we’re really saying is, “I clearly know the best way to act, better than you do!”  It tends to involve a superior attitude.
        Of course, there are times when one person does know better and it’s their job to help teach another, in which case it doesn’t have to be a superior attitude.  That includes parent and child, mentor and apprentice, teacher and student, lawyer and client, doctor and patient, etc.  However, there is a tendency on the part of many of us to bring that superior attitude into other areas of life.  Don’t we at times think we know more than politicians or coaches or friends or neighbors or our spouse? 
        This weekend we celebrate the end of the Lent-Easter-Pentecost season with the Solemnity of Pentecost.  At Pentecost, the promise made by Jesus came true: the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the disciples.  They began to understand more clearly the way of Jesus the Christ and fearlessly proclaimed the Kingdom of God.
        Did they know better than others?  Yes, because of their experience.  And they shared what they knew, but not with a superior attitude.  Maybe they used the word “should”, but it wasn’t borne of superiority: they knew that their understanding and their courage came from the Lord, not from within themselves.
        The fruit of the Holy Spirit is never an attitude of superiority; that comes from our own ego.  The fruit of the Holy Spirit is a healthy humility, which recognizes God’s great love for us all, friend and foe alike.
        May we be always open to the presence of the Holy Spirit.

        Have a blessed . . . and humble . . . week!   

No comments:

Post a Comment