Monday, January 5, 2015

January 4th, A note from Fr. Walt

       Talk of making New Year Resolutions has been a tradition going back many, many years, even centuries.  There is always some talk about it and maybe a lot of people seriously think of making such resolutions:  I’m going to take off twenty pounds this year, I’m going to start a journal this year, I’m going to visit old friends more this year.  Resolutions such as these, as noble and well-intended as they are, rarely last beyond the month of January.  No offense to those who do make such resolutions seriously and carry them out faithfully.  Yet, such resolutions are talked about more than made and fulfilled; let’s be honest about it.

       Today is the feast of the Epiphany, the manifestation to the world of the coming of the Lord Jesus as our Messiah and Savior.  How Magnificent!  This manifestation of the Lord to us, we tend to confine as a part of the Christmas season celebration, but the manifestation does not have an ending, not only the Lord’s manifestation to us, but our part in that, namely:  that we are to share in the labor of continuing to make Him manifest in our world today.  To this end, I would suggest making a few ‘Epiphany Resolutions’.  May I offer a few suggestions?

       ONE:  I resolve that this year I will sincerely make an effort to spend at least a few moments in prayer each day.  I will pick a quiet time, without the noise of TV or such and quietly talk with the Lord, AND listen to what He wishes to say to me.

       TWO:  I resolve that at least two or three days a week, I will take a little time to read sacred scripture, the Bible.  Each Sunday in the bulletin, we list the scripture text for the Masses for that week.  Let this be a guide to help you decide what portions to read.  You don’t have to follow that; maybe you have your own favorite passages you would rather choose.

       THREE:  I resolve to share at least some part of my time in community, neighborhood or church activities.  We know that actions speak louder than words and maybe some of our good deeds will help others around us to see the presence and grace of God in action.

       FOUR:  I resolve to at least think about the call that frequently comes through the bulletin or the pulpit announcements, looking for more people to participate in liturgical roles:  servers, lectors, special ministers of the Eucharist, etc.  Giving witness among our brothers and sisters in our faith community is always a good way to share with others.

       Yes, I could go on with a longer list of suggestions for such resolutions, but I’ll leave that up to your own creative imaginations.  The important part of this message is that we come to realize that the Lord, Himself, depends on us to help make him manifest in our world.  A lot of the terrible things that have gone on in our cities of late speak volumes to us.

       Think of the Beatitudes that we read in the opening verses of the 5th chapter of Matthew’s gospel, more than enough food for thought.

       Our new year is still very young.  May it be filled with God’s choicest blessings for all…  

No comments:

Post a Comment