Wednesday, September 3, 2014

August 24th, A note from Fr. Scott

        “He’s the most selfish man in the world.”
        So said one man to another as they walked by me.  They were going in the opposite direction so I never did find out the particulars.  Who is “he”?  Why is “he” considered so selfish?  Why were they even talking about “him”?
        I did wonder about the “in the world” part.  Out of nearly seven billion people, “he” was the most selfish?  That’s a lot of people! 
        Of course, the gentleman speaking—maybe I use the word “gentleman” loosely because a real gentleman probably wouldn’t utter such a phrase—was no doubt using that time honored principle of exaggeration to make a point.  I suppose we all do that at one time or another.  Jesus no doubt used a bit of exaggeration in his parables because that was (and is) a way to make a point.  As a human race we seem to have come to the conclusion that “ordinary” is not enough.  We want more; we want flashy; we want spectacular.  So we like restaurants that give us more; we patronize movies that rely on special effects; TV shows must “push the envelope” (bad taste or not); politicians make promises they could never keep; amusement parks and extreme sports must have an element of danger or at least adventure.  “Ordinary” doesn’t make headlines. 
        We sometimes think that God can only be found in the extra-ordinary.  Not true at all.  While God can be extra-ordinary at times, most of the time God is found in the ordinary.  The Gospels contain a lot of information about Jesus, but if His public ministry was three years (or even one year), there’s a lot missing.  And I would guess there were a lot of “ordinary” encounters with people who found the “ordinary” very meaningful and fulfilling. 
        Selfishness, however, is not very meaningful or fulfilling (at least beyond the moment).  I don’t know who the most selfish person in the world is, but most of us probably think we know a candidate or two.  Sometimes I think I’m in the running for the title!  But then I come back to Jesus; I come back to Scripture; I come back to the collected wisdom of the Church and remind myself that I wasn’t created to be self-centered.  I was created to be God-centered and other-centered.  That doesn’t mean that I’m not supposed to take care of myself.  If I don’t eat well, sleep enough, get some exercise, challenge my brain, and find ways to de-stress at times, I won’t be healthy enough to be God-centered and other-centered.  That’s true for all of us.

        Have a healthy, God- and other-centered week . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment